Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kale Chips

I just saw something really exciting on Facebook posted by Food, Inc. It's a new documentary being narrated by Katie Couric called Fed Up. It's an expose on the truth about sugar and America's obesity problem. It's opening May 9th and from the help of several big names, including former President Bill Clinton, they're going to build the argument that "the obesity crisis was brought on by greedy junk food companies, permissive federal legislation and subsidies, and a government that tells us the systemic weight gain is all our fault." Ahhh! I can't wait. I really hope this is an eye opener for many people, especially parents. Kids have no idea what they're being given and the havoc it can wreak on their bodies. When doctors and scientists can find similarities between sugar and cocaine in the brain, I mean, come on! Dare I say it's like ignorant child abuse. Well, it's time to get educated. May 9th. Be there!

In other news, I'm currently in the middle of my sugar detox. Today is Day 10. Yup. Right smack in the middle. I still want sweet things. But in truth, I know how short lived my satisfaction would be, so instead, I make things like delicious kale chips. Then I'm satiated and don't feel like a big sack of poo afterwards! Enjoy these kale chips. They are a great snack item for anyone needing something quick, or can even be served as a side item with a meal. And they don't make you feel like a big sack of poo...which is important. ;)

Kale Chips












Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Total Time: ~15 minutes

Special Tools:
Foil lined baking tray

Ingredients:
4 cups of chopped kale (I like Trader Joe's Organic Tuscan Kale)
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp of ghee, melted
sprinkle of salt, garlic, and paprika (or your favorite seasonings)

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spread the kale out onto the foil.
3. Pour the oil and ghee onto the leaves and massage the oil and ghee over each leaf. *Don't skip this, it really makes a difference.
4. Sprinkle some salt, garlic, and paprika over the leaves.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the leaves are almost all crispy. 
6. Pour into a bowl or eat them right off the tray (that's what I did).

No comments:

Post a Comment