Friday, April 11, 2014

Brussels Sprout Chips

Like clockwork, day four of my sugar detox and the headache and moodiness have arrived. Its around lunchtime, so I should definitely stop and eat something. I feel the angry sugar withdraw monster trying to rear its ugly head. Someone told me yesterday that it's my body reacting to the "healing crisis" my body goes through by expelling toxins into different systems of my body. I guess that makes me feel a little bit better about it, but days like today really just sssuuuuuuucccckkk! Knowing it's my fault makes me even more frustrated. Why does sugar have to taste SO GOOD?! Enough complaining, suck it up, right? I'll be all the better for it down the road.

Moving on to these delicious little gems. Cooking dinner in the kitchen is something I really enjoy doing, but I find myself snacking while I cook, which is probably a poor decision on my part. The Roasted Plantain Chips from Trader Joe's are my weakness. They are part of what sparked my decision to detox again...those and the large bag of Brookside's Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry I crushed up in Chicago last month. It was heinous ..and glorious. Anyway, I have made all kinds of chips, plantain, sweet potato, kale, etc. and these are probably the easiest to make. They aren't all completely crispy, which I happen to like. The combination of the fat, salt, little bit of garlic and paprika...delish! Plus it gives me a reason to reuse the normally discarded leaves that fall off these baby cabbages anyway, and satisfy my need to snack without leaving me feeling guilty.

Note: If you are making brussels sprouts but aren't ready to use the leaves for making chips right away, you can store them in a resealable plastic bag for several days.

Brussels Sprout Chips

















Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7-9 minutes
Total Time: about 12-14 minutes

Special Tools:
Foil lined baking sheet

Ingredients:
2 cups of brussels sprouts leaves
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of melted ghee
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp of garlic powder

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Lay your b. sprout leaves out on the foil lined baking sheet. Note: Discard any that are yellow or wilted.
3. Pour the oil and ghee all around. Rub each leaf to coat well.
4. Mix your seasonings in a small bowl and then sprinkle them over the leaves. 
5. Bake in the oven for 7-9 minutes or until most of the leaves are brown and crispy. 
6. Pour into a bowl and enjoy while cooking (or whenever you feel like snacking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment