Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I did it! I finally found a way to cook brussels sprouts and not have my husband turn his nose up at them. I don't know what's wrong with him, I LOVE brussels sprouts and I can eat them prepared just about any way possible. My two favorite ways to date have been at two restaurants, The Front Porch here in Tallahassee, and Flip Burger in Atlanta. Sadly, the Front Porch doesn't have their sautéed maple bacon b. sprouts on the menu all the time, so if that's what you're after, then check the menu before you go! Worth the wait though, I promise. Anyway, back to the way I am preparing them these days so the hubs will eat one of the world's healthiest foods! I've found that if I send them through the food processor using the slicing blade, they come out in a combination of cute slivers and shredded-like slaw. Then I just mix them in a bowl with some ghee, olive oil, and spices, bake for about 15-20 minutes then voila! He loves them! I guess the thin stringy texture has a less bitter taste than biting into a half of one. 

Note: As you prepare the brussels sprouts to go into the food processor, you'll lose some of the outer leaves. Don't fret! Save them for making brussels sprout chips! I have kept mine in a plastic resealable bag for up to two weeks before using them and they were still crisp and delicious.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


















Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25-30 minutes

Special Tools:
Food processor
Large mixing bowl
Foil lined baking tray

Ingredients:
1 lb of brussels sprouts
3 tbsp of melted ghee
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp of coconut aminos
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of garlic powder

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
2. Cut the bottoms of the brussels sprouts off and discard. *Save the leaves that come off to make chips later!
3. Stack 3 or 4 sprouts on top of each other in your food processor feeder tube and turn the processor on. This ensures you get slices and not just all tiny shredded pieces. Repeat until all the b. sprouts have been sliced. 
4. Whisk together all of the remaining ingredients into a large bowl. 
5. Dumb the b. sprouts into the bowl and toss to combine and then spread them out on a foil lined tray. 
6. Place in the oven. Take them out every 5 minutes for 20 minutes and move them around to make sure it all cooks evenly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment