Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Meaty Stuffed Peppers

Yesterday began my second 21 day sugar detox. Overall, I'd call the day a success. I only got bummed out about not having something sweet once (OK, maybe twice) when I came home and found that my husband had brought home FOUR double-layer chocolate chip cookie brownies from work! Why?! (He said "They were free! Who turns down free brownies?!") It's like cruel and unusual punishment. I ignored them until I needed something in their general direction, saw them, and pouted again. But thankfully, my scary sugar withdraw hasn't kicked in yet, so I was able to walk away. He better eat those things before day 5. I know what's coming. Perhaps I should remind him about the angry sugar monster that is slowly starting to awaken. 

Hopefully this time around won't be so bad though. I'm sure it won't. I haven't consumed that many terrible processed carbs and sugars since ending my last detox. Leading up to my decision to complete the first sugar detox, however, let's just say, "Whoa!" I will admit, I know how to enjoy the holidays! There's never a break in the last quarter of the year. October through December is brutal; our Anniversary, my birthday, his birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I knew before the new year even started that I was going to try out the detox. If what I read was true, my whole world would be flipped upside down. Cutting out sugar entirely (well, I had three sweet potatoes and 3 green apples during the whole detox) was so eye-opening. Sugar is everywhere! Even natural sugars are something to be aware of and to monitor. 

It's been about three months since my last detox. I'm not sure how often you should do them, but quarterly seems ideal for me. I'll keep posting recipes that follow 21dsd in the event anyone else wants to give it a try. The best resource for anyone wanting to know what they can and can't have would be this Food List from Diane Sanfilippo. I follow mostly level 3, except that I allow myself to have cheese occasionally (goat's milk, if possible) and organic heavy whipping cream in my coffee. 

Meaty Stuffed Peppers













Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Serves: 3

Special Tools:
Saute pan
Aluminum foil
Cutting board
Chopping knife
Shallow baking dish

Ingredients:
3 bell peppers, tops removed and seeded (I used orange)
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 cup of sliced button mushrooms, diced
1 small tomato, diced
2 tbsp of coconut aminos
1 tsp of ginger
1/2 tbsp each of cumin, garlic, and onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded goat's milk gouda (optional)

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and while it's preheating, wrap your bell peppers in aluminum foil.
2. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until they begin to give a little (but not falling apart).
3. While the peppers are in the oven, place a large sauté pan over medium high heat and begin to brown your beef (about 5 minutes). 
4. Add your veggies, except the tomato.
5. Add your coconut aminos, ginger, seasonings, and salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. 
6. Add the tomatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes. 
7. Remove from the peppers from the oven and open the foil allowing the peppers to cool slightly
8. Spoon in the beef mixture into the peppers until they are essentially stuffed tightly to the top. 
9. Place the peppers in the baking dish and cook for 15 minutes. Top with cheese (optional) and cook until melted, about 5 minutes. 
10. Eat it while it's hot! I served mine with a baby green side salad topped with homemade guacamole as my dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment