Monday, June 2, 2014

Raw Veggie Slaw

It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you can't sleep! I was up yesterday morning before the sun was. Knowing I wasn't going back to sleep, I made my way downstairs with our dog, Lucas, to let him outside. It was so early I had to manually turn my Keurig on, instead of the usual auto start at 7 AM. I spent the next hour or so sipping on Ultra Spiced Chai, watching the sun rise, and planning our meals for the week. Such a great way to start the morning. I've got a few brand new meals I'm going to test out this week and will share if I decide they are share worthy (AKA delicious), and then the other days I'm bringing back some things we've had before like taco salad, and the paleo ranch seasoning on some pork medallions. Those have been getting a lot of great feedback lately. Thanks for that! Keep letting me know what you think. Back to my morning...I was able to make it to two grocery stores and back in just over an hour and we made it to a 10:45 AM showing of Maleficent. By 12:30 I had accomplished everything I had on my Sunday agenda. We spent the afternoon making a beautiful brunch with some friends and then we all ended up napping on our couch! Best Sunday Ever!

Switching gears now...

Coleslaw is one of those side items that my husband will eat with just about anything. He really loves it. I like it to a degree, but it's really kind of boring. I ate at a place called Zoe's Kitchen, which serves Mediterranean cuisine. They had a really interesting coleslaw, which was entirely vinegar based. So this sort of came into fruition from eating theirs. Now before I even start, I will say, the dressing for this slaw is tangy from the vinegar and dijon. But it's mostly because I left the honey out to keep it 21 Day Sugar Detox approved. If you're not detoxing, add a tablespoon or so of honey to the processor or blender and it should cut the tang quite a bit. 

Raw Veggie Slaw




















Prep Time: 15 minutes + 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour + 15 minutes

Special Tools:
Foil lined baking sheet
Food processor or blender
Large bowl

Ingredients:
4 strips of thick cut bacon
1 bag of Cruciferous Crunch Collection from Trader Joe's
1 small carrot, peeled or shredded
10 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (Trader Joe's had some beautiful heirloom tomatoes)
1 cup of raw broccoli florets, chopped down to bite sized pieces 
1 cup of cucumber, diced
1/4 cup of scallions
1/2 cup of light tasting olive oil
3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp of dijon mustard
1 tbsp of honey (leave out for 21dsd)
1 tbsp of fresh dill
1/2 tsp of celery salt

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 380 degrees. 
2. Cook the bacon on the foil lined baking sheet for 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain the strips on a paper towel and then chop into bits.
3. Place the apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, dill, and celery salt to the processor or blender. While the motor is running, pour in the olive oil and let it mix until creamy (about a minute or so). 
4. Place all of the other ingredients, including the bacon, into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and use two spoons to toss until well combined. 
5. Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow all of the flavors to come together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment