Friday, June 20, 2014

Berry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

I spent most of my morning at the dentist office yesterday. Originally I was just suppose to be there for a quick check-up and cleaning. But a couple of weeks ago I was eating dinner and bit down on something hard. Turns out it was a piece of my tooth from my back bottom molar! What in the world?!?! I was eating sautéed cabbage for goodness sakes! CABBAGE! Probably one of the softest foods in the world. My dentist said that over time the tooth enamel can wear down and the slightest thing can be enough to cause it to chip away. It's been super sensitive to liquids, especially cold ones! The earliest they could squeeze me in to repair the tooth was the day of my cleaning, so I've been living with a sensitive tooth for a couple of weeks. Long story short, my tooth is all better and I celebrated by creating a new ice cream flavor that's dairy-free and delicious! I've just come off another sugar detox, so there isn't a lot of extra natural sugar either, but I promise it's plenty sweet all on it's own. 

Berry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours + 15 minutes
Serves: 4-5

Special Tools:
Blender or food processor
Medium sauce pan
Ice cream maker (or bread pan)

Ingredients:
1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup of blackberries
2 tsp of lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, seeded
1 heaping tablespoon of raw honey
2 large egg yolks, whisked

Instructions:
1. Take the first six ingredients and put them into a food processor, or blender, and mix until well combined. 


2. Pour the mixture into a medium sauce-pan on medium heat, and stir in the egg yolks, whisking constantly until a low boil begins. About 15 minutes. Then remove immediately from the heat. 


3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then transfer to a covered dish/bowl and place in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled. I let mine chill for over an hour. 
4. Pour the contents into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Mine took about 25-30 minutes to reach the desired consistency. 


5. Scoop out some ice cream and top with a couple of blueberries. Eat up buttercup!
*If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour it into a bread pan and put in the freezer for at least two hours. Take it out and use an ice cream scooper to serve. You might need to let it sit out for 5-15 minutes if it is too frozen to scoop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment