Friday, May 2, 2014

Paleo Chocolate "Milkshake"

Nail polish is probably one of the most frustrating things. No seriously. I never wear it for several reasons. Mostly because I feel like it's a waste of time since it only lasts for a couple of days. I refuse to spend money putting fake nails on, because they just seem to get in the way anyway, or they break, and then I'm even more frustrated for having spent money on something that barely lasted 48 hours. (Side note: I'm not knocking those that get their nails done. My friend Lyndsey has BEAUTIFUL nails and I'm super jealous of how good they always look.) But even when I take an hour to file, buff, wash, and polish, it always seems that within a couple of days (if I'm lucky) the polish has chipped away. It's usually from washing the dishes and showering. Why? Why, water, must you ruin my nails?! And of course, once it chips, I don't have time to sit there and fix them. So now my nails start to look all gross, but I can't leave them alone. Oh no. What do I do? I begin to pick and scratch at them, and before I know it, half the polish is off each nail, making me look like a wild child with zero self-control. This goes on for several days, or until I have scratched off every last bit of polish, leaving me once again, with plain Jane nails. As I type this now, my entire left had has been scratched clean, while my right hand has three nails with partial polish. Oy vey. It's unfortunate, too, because I really liked the color I had on. 

Ok, enough about nail polish. There are certainly more important things in the world than what I have going on with my nails. Like this amazing milk shake I discovered last night. I altered the recipe to be less sweet, because coming off of a sugar detox makes everything taste sweeter than what it used to. If you want to try out the original, head over to The Spunky Coconut's website. She's an amazing pioneer in the world of paleo and I just love all of her ideas. This is my spin on her Choco-Chia "Milkshake."

Paleo Chocolate Milkshake

Prep Time: 3-5 minutes
Total Time: 3-5 minutes
Serves: 1

Special Tools:
Coffee grinder
Blender

Ingredients:
1 cup of full-fat coconut milk (I used the milk from the can, not the carton)
2 tbsp of ground chia seeds
1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp of raw honey
4-5 drops of chocolate Stevia
6 cubes of ice
1/2-1 tbsp of raw cocoa nibs

Instructions:
1. Grind your chia seeds in a coffee grinder. Otherwise, the seeds will expand and create a lumpy shake.
2. Blend all of the ingredients together except the cocoa nibs. I would add one or two cubes of ice at a time while it blends to help break it up better, but that could just be my blender!
3. Pour into a cup or glass and garnish with the cocoa nibs. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment