Thursday, March 27, 2014

Tasty Guacamole

I must give credit where credit is most certainly due. Marrying into a Hispanic family opened up a whole new world for me in terms of bold flavors in my cooking. Up until about 6 years ago, I really did not venture a lot out of my comfort zone with food. However, my husband and in-laws introduced me to several flavor profiles over the years that I simply cannot live without now! 

I remember around the time that I started opening up to avocados and guacamole. I was participating in a Paleo challenge at my CrossFit gym back in 2011. I needed a way to get some healthy fats into my diet other than eating nuts all the time. My husband loved avocados and I would buy them regularly for him, so one day I decided, That's it! I'm going to eat avocados whether I like them or not! Surprisingly, with a little salt, they weren't half bad. I kept eating them throughout the entire six week challenge. Then I ventured out later and made guacamole. With the right ingredients, guacamole can change your whole world. At least it did for me. I love it now and usually make it at least once a week!

Tasty Guacamole






















Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2-3

Ingredients:
1 large over-ripened avocado (outer peel should be dark green and should easily give when you press gently)
1/2 large vine ripened tomato, diced into small pieces
1/4 medium red or sweet onion, diced into small pieces
2-3 tbsp of cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Run your chopping knife through the avocado so it traces around the pit. Twist the avocado until it comes apart. Jab the pit with the knife and it should pull right out. 
2. Take a spoon and scoop out all of the avocado into a medium mixing bowl.
3. Use a fork to mash it up into a clumpy paste consistency. 
4. Add your diced tomatoes and onion. Mix well, but don't mash anymore. 
5. Add the cilantro and lime juice. Mix again.
6. Add a little salt and pepper at a time. Start with about 1/4 tsp. of each.

Notes: To take this guac to another level, fry up two strips of bacon until crispy, drain on a paper towel, then chop and mix into guacamole. I'm telling you, it's incredible! 

You can also roast a corn cob in the husk for about 25-30 minutes on 400, then use a chopping knife to separate the kernels from the cob. Add the corn to the guacamole with a tsp of melted ghee or grass-fed butter. It's not paleo with the corn, but it is pretty delicious! You might want to double the recipe above so the corn doesn't overpower the guacamole. 

Here's a batch I made:




No comments:

Post a Comment