Monday, March 31, 2014

Spicy Beef and Shrimp Tacos

A couple of weekends ago I was craving tacos. I woke up Sunday morning and as I was planning out our meals for the week while laying in bed, I started thinking about things that I used to eat that would be considered "unhealthy" in my eyes today. Taco Bell rang out (ha! no pun intended) and suddenly I was in the mood for them. But I will probably never ever again go to that fast-food place to satisfy that "south of the border" craving. The idea of it just grosses me out. Besides, most of the time I feel like cooking my own food, because it saves us money and I know what I'm putting in my body. So then I started thinking OK, if I'm going to make my own, what would be on my ideal taco. Two things immediately popped into my head, bacon guacamole and mango salsa! Those are probably two of my favorite condiments. Then I was kind enough to ask my husband his opinion about the protein. Would he like chicken and shrimp or beef and shrimp? I knew his answer before I even asked, but I just wanted to check. He's funny about chicken. He never really goes out of his way to request it unless he knows its going to be super flavorful, like my Moroccan chicken; so beef and shrimp it would be. I decided to be paleo bad and found some low-carb wheat tortilla soft shells from Trader Joe's that had only a gram or two of sugar, but you could keep it strict paleo and use lettuce cups for the shells or make your own. Lettuce wraps are typically my go-to shell for things like this and burger buns. However, like I said, I was craving real tacos (and I was too lazy to make my own shells on this particular day!). 

*To keep this 21 Day Sugar Detox approved, leave out the mango!


Spicy Beef and Shrimp Tacos





















Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 3-4 

Special Tools:
Large saute pan
Cutting board
Chopping knife
2 medium bowls

Ingredients:
1 lb. of grass-fed beef
1/2 pound of large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 medium green pepper, diced
1 tsp of ghee
My Tasty Guacamole (with bacon)
My Mango Avocado Salsa (though you can leave out the avocado since you're making guacamole)
2 cups of spinach leaves
1 + 1/2 tbsp of cumin, divided
1 + 1/2 tbsp of chili powder, divided
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, divided
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp of onion powder, divided
1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp of kosher sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp paprika, divided
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
1 pack of Trader Joe's low-carb wheat tortilla soft shells (or you could make your own like Danielle Walker's amazing Coconut Flour Tortillas recipe to keep this totally paleo)


Instructions:
1. Heat the saute pan over medium heat and add the bacon for the guacamole, until crispy. Then drain the strips on a paper towel and set aside. 
2. Leave the rendered fat from the bacon in the pan and add the ground beef.  
3. Once it begins to brown slightly, add the larger portion of each of the seasonings (the smaller portions will be to season the shrimp), and the diced onion and pepper. 
4. While the beef is cooking, make the guacamole and salsa. 
5. When the beef is cooked through, use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the pan and set aside, leaving behind the juices from the bacon and beef. 
6. Add the ghee and let it melt. 
7. Add the shrimp and the smaller portions of the seasonings. Saute on each side for about 3 minutes. 
8. Then add the beef back in with the shrimp and stir. 
9. Set your tortilla shells on a plate and spoon some of the beef and shrimp, then add the spinach, a spoonful of bacon guacamole and a heaping scoop of the mango salsa (I won't lie, I piled that sh*t on!).

No comments:

Post a Comment